If you’ve recently opened up your very first Shopify store, or your brand is growing and you’ve got more inventory than ever before, you might be wondering how to create your very own Shopify collection.
If you’re already familiar with your Shopify, then you’ll have likely noticed that Shopify creates automatic collections that you get as a default with their themes.
However, you do have the ability to create your own manual collections, too.
Unlike automatic collections, a manual collection is essentially a product page that contains specific products that you have chosen yourself and, if you’re currently stuck on how to make one, we’re here to help!
Below, you’ll find easy-to-follow instructions on how to go about making your own collections on Shopify, as well as useful tips along the way to make the process as easy as can be. Let’s jump right in!
How to Add a Manual Collection
There are plenty of reasons as to why you might want to create your own manual collections.
Perhaps you’ve recently experienced some growth as a brand and have more products than ever before, or maybe you simply want your customer’s shopping experience to be as simple as possible.
Whatever the reason might be, first things first, you’re going to need to learn how to create a collection before you can start adding products to it!
The good news is that creating a collection is pretty simple, and Shopify has done its best to make it as convenient as possible for you.
For instance, if you don’t want to publish your collection straight away, then Shopify has created a feature that will allow you to set the collection to ‘drop’ at a specific date.
In addition to that, Shopify has also created a function that will allow you to change the order in which you want to display your products in your collection, even after the collection has been published. Here’s how to create a collection:
For Desktop Users:
- Open up Shopify on your computer. Then, head over to your Shopify admin. Once there, click through into Products, and then Collections.
- Once you have clicked through to Collections, then go ahead and click on Create collection.
- Shopify will then prompt you to create a title and add a description for the new collection.
- Once you have given the new collection you are creating a title and a short description detailing what it is, you can move to the Collection type section, where you will need to select Manual.
- Then click Save, so that you do not lose any of the work you have made so far.
- After doing this, it will now be time to head over to the Products area/section, where you will be able to then search for all of the products that you want to be a part of the collection.
- You can then set the sorting order for how you want the products to be organized and presented in your store.
- At this point, you will have the option of viewing a search engine listing preview, where Shopify will be able to give you a preview of how the collection will be displayed in search results. At which point, if there are any changes you’d like to make, you can then edit the information via the Edit website SEO button.
- Once you have done this and are happy with everything so far, you will then need to head over to the Sales channels section and click on Manage. This will allow you to view all of the sales channels and select the ones you want the collection to be made available.
- After you have done this, you will then see a Collection image section, where you will be able to add images to your collection and bring it to life on your website.
- At this point, click Save, so that you do not lose any work you have done.
- After doing all of this, your collection will be ready to go! You can then add a link to your collection via your online store navigation so that customers will be able to view the collection on your website.
For iPhone and Android users:
- Open your phone as you normally would, and head over to your Shopify app.
- Once you have opened up the app, then head over to the Products section of the app, and then click on the Collections button.
- Once you have opened the Collections section, tap on the little ‘+’ button.
- After you have tapped on the plus symbol, this will signify to Shopify that you want to create a new collection, at which point you will then be prompted to go ahead and create a title and description for the new collection.
- At this point, you will be able to add an image for the collection, although this step is optional.
- At this point, make sure to hit Save, so that you do not lose any of the progress you have made so far in the event that your phone loses internet connection.
- Before you do anything else, make sure that you have successfully disabled the Automatically select products function, otherwise, Shopify will automatically add products to the collection.
- Then, tap on Sales Channels, which will allow you to customize which sales channels you would like the collection to be made available to. However, this step is optional, a Shopify will automatically make the new collection available to all of your sales channels by default.
- After you have done this, tap on Sorting, and then select the order in which you want all of the products to appear on your online store.
- Then, tap on the Products section, and begin to add the products that you want to be featured in your new collection.
- At this point, tap on Save to make sure that you don’t lose any work if your phone dies or the internet cuts out.
- Add the link to your new collection to the online store navigation, so that customers will be able to find it.